The list below provides an approximate values of allowable geometry complexity:
- The total size of all source files (the assembly and all dependent files) should not exceed 200 MB;
- The assembly should contain no more than 100 000 parts;
- The assembly should contain no more than 2000 unique parts (different part numbers);
- The number of triangles in the assembly should not exceed 3 000 000; and
- The number of triangles per part should not exceed 200 000.
The parameters of 3D models, specified above, are approximate. Much more complex models can be loaded into RapidAuthor, but acceptable authoring performance cannot be guaranteed for such projects; performance most entirely depends on hardware.
The aforementioned parametres are based on the following minimum hardware requirements:
- PC with 2.5 GHz or higher processor clock speed; Intel or AMD family, or compatible processor;
- Random Access Memory (RAM): 4 GB;
- Graphics card: 3D Accelerator DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics card with at least 1 GB video RAM.
Below are hardware requirements for viewing RapidAuthor HTML5 plugin-less publications (also based on aforementioned parametres):
- PC with 2.0 GHz or higher processor clock speed; Intel or AMD family, or compatible processor;
- Random Access Memory (RAM): 1 GB;
- Graphics card: 3D Accelerator Direct3D compatible graphics Card with 128MB video RAM.
We suggest creating separate RapidAuthor projects for different parts of assemblies. One RapidAuthor project should represent one operation in your manual (e.g. bulk–head replacement, which references smaller operation to other RapidAuthor projects) or one simple parts catalogue section (e.g. left wing aileron hydraulics system).
Please refer to this article for our best practices on Working with Large Assemblies.